VDL Enabling Transport Solutions
Automotive Engineering, Elektrotechniek, Engineering (algemeen), ICT, Mechatronica
Data/ICT, Electrificatie , Electronica en besturingssystemen , Mobiliteit, Monitoring, Testen, Software
VDL ETS focusses on research, development and testing of new concepts and technologies for transport-related activities within the VDL group. The objective is to develop environmentally-friendly and innovative hardware and software solutions in the field of electric transport (BEV, (P)HEV and FCEV mobility), battery technology, charging infrastructure, energy storage, automated guided vehicles (AGVs), and guidance and navigation technology.
Within VDL ETS, tasks within the Concept Development domain are responsible for the specification, design and engineering of new techniques, products and modules for various transport solutions. More specifically, we are working on electric trucks, public transport busses, coaches, AGVs etc. The department consists of a number of competence groups, such as Light Weight, Aerodynamics, Climate, Noise and Vibrations, Design and Energy Management.In multidisciplinary project teams we specify, design and develop new concepts. Some examples of these projects are new transport concepts, new platforms of VDL Bus and Coach buses, but also new concepts such as climate controls and other smart controls used in the vehicles, light weights designs and fleet management related software applications.
Within VDL ETS, the Connectivity software team is responsible for the software that realises functionalities that connect the bus to the outside world and software that plays a role at that interface between bus and outside world. Since VDL develops specific functionality and ECUs for vehicles, diagnostic capabilities should be developed for these units. This comes together in a Diagnostic tool, named Diana, that should assist maintenance activities for all components in the bus. VDL wants to provide an easy accessible diagnostic tool, that supports mechanics, even with limited VDL specific knowledge.
The diagnostic tool, called Diana (DIagnostic ANAlyzer) is developed on the Connectivity unit and communicates with the bus, the cloud and with a local user. In order to use Diana, the mechanic uses a laptop that connects Diana via WIFI of the unit that the tool runs on, being the CCU (Connectivity Control Unit). The diagnostic application uses a internet browser as GUI client .
The assignment is to investigate ways to incorporate augmented reality that supports the mechanic in maintaining the vehicle, by visually assisting in investigations and repair processes. Options are the use of vehicle design content and other maintenance content as a base. Also the use of cloud to support Augmented Reality functions should be investigated. The result should be an evaluation of best practices and possibilities for augmented reality that fit best to the processes and available content at VDL.
- Familiarize yourself with the diagnostic tool Diana, the VDL organisation and the existing content structure & availability
- Investigate current technology of augmented reality available in the market
- Familiarize yourself with the development technologies at VDL ETS.
- Evaluate the possibilities of augmented reality and the technologies in respect to the possibilities of VDL
- Setup a demo or proof environment of the chosen best practices
- You periodically report and discuss your progress and goals to the VDL ETS Connectivity & Diagnosis team
What do you bring:
- You are in the final stage of your bachelor program
- Experience with software engineering, software in general, cloud & development.
- Affinity with state of the art technologies
- Willing to do and affinity with hands on work.
- Abstract thinking, out-of-the-box thinking, analytical attitude but still hands-on
- Effective communication with all levels and disciplines. Clear and structured way of reporting.
- Able to challenge others, to come up with even better ideas
- Team spirit and cooperative attitude
What do we offer:
- Contribute to the further development of state-of-the-art, high-tech transport solutions
- Dynamic working environment
- Work together with multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to connect software development other disciplines
- You will be part of the international industrial family business, the VDL Group, where continuity is paramount
For more information you can contact Josje Ras firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone +31 (0)40 292 50 66
Are you interested and do you meet the profile? Then we would like to receive your CV and motivation for this vacancy!
Apply now with ACE
Please mention 'ACE internship / graduation 2019' when applying for a project! The Automotive Center of Expertise is a partnership between the three Universities of Applied Sciences Automotive (HAN, Fontys and Rotterdam) and the automotive industry. Partner companies of ACE are selected companies that have a close bond with education. These ACE Partners are preferred companies and are known for high-level assignments, excellent guidance/coaching and innovative topics.