VDL Enabling Transport Solutions
Automotive Engineering, Elektrotechniek, Engineering (algemeen), ICT, Werktuigbouwkunde, Mechatronica
Data/ICT, Electrificatie , Electronica en besturingssystemen , Mobiliteit, Monitoring, Powertrain, Testen, Software
VDL ETS focusses on research, development and testing of new concepts and technologies for transport-related activities within the VDL group. The objective is to develop environmentally-friendly and innovative hardware and software solutions in the field of electric transport (BEV, (P)HEV and FCEV mobility), battery technology, charging infrastructure, energy storage, automated guided vehicles (AGVs), and guidance and navigation technology.
Within VDL ETS, tasks within the Concept Development domain are responsible for the specification, design and engineering of new techniques, products and modules for various transport solutions. More specifically, we are working on electric trucks, public transport busses, coaches, AGVs etc. The department consists of a number of competence groups, such as Light Weight, Aerodynamics, Climate, Noise and Vibrations, Design and Energy Management.In multidisciplinary project teams we specify, design and develop new concepts. Some examples of these projects are new transport concepts, new platforms of VDL Bus and Coach buses, but also new concepts such as climate controls and other smart controls used in the vehicles, light weights designs and fleet management related software applications.
Within VDL ETS, the Connectivity software team is responsible for the software that realises functionalities that connect the bus to the outside world. More and more applications play a role at the interface between the busses and the outside world. Since VDL develops specific functionality and ECU software that communicates with systems in the cloud and outside the bus, we need to be aware and prepared for cyber security risks. The areas that are concerned are telemetry, remote diagnostics, cloud bounded applications and applications to coordinate charging operations.
European and global legislation, like UN R155, obliges automotive OEMs to be compliant in 2024. In the years before that some steps already have to be made. VDL Bus & Couch wants to start awareness, activities and building up knowledge regarding these cyber security threats and legal compliancy.
The assignment is to investigate areas of vulnerability for cyber security regarding our busses. Following on that, best practices and recommendations regarding risk mitigations, procedures and legal compliancy should be proposed. Based on that VDL ETS will be defining next steps like projects and other tasks to work to the goals for 2024.
- Familiarize yourself with the bus related software and systems, particularly the boundary areas to the outside world.
- Build up understanding of the automotive focussed legislation regarding cyber security.
- Understand the VDL development processes and organisation.
- Investigate current technology and practices regarding cyber security.
- Evaluate the known vulnerabilities and investigate best practices for prevention, detecting and alerting of cyber security attacks.
- You periodically report and discuss your progress and goals to the VDL ETS Connectivity team.
What do you bring:
- You are in the final stage of your bachelor program
- Experience with software engineering, software in general, cloud & development.
- Affinity with cyber security and state of the art technologies
- Abstract thinking, out-of-the-box thinking, analytical but still hands-on. Capable of implementing simple and practical solutions
- Effective communication with all levels and disciplines. Clear and structured way of reporting.
- Able to challenge others, to come up with even better ideas
- Team spirit and cooperative attitude
What do we offer:
- Contribute to the further development of state-of-the-art, high-tech transport solutions
- Become experienced with cyber security in a broad sense
- Dynamic working environment
- Work together with multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to connect software development other disciplines
- You will be part of the international industrial family business, the VDL Group, where continuity is paramount
For more information, please conatct Josje Ras email@example.com
Phone +31 (0)40 292 50 66
Are you interested and do you meet the profile? Then we would like to receive your CV and motivation for this vacancy!
Apply now with ACE
Please mention 'ACE internship / graduation 2019' when applying for a project! The Automotive Center of Expertise is a partnership between the three Universities of Applied Sciences Automotive (HAN, Fontys and Rotterdam) and the automotive industry. Partner companies of ACE are selected companies that have a close bond with education. These ACE Partners are preferred companies and are known for high-level assignments, excellent guidance/coaching and innovative topics.