VDL Enabling Transport Solutions
Automotive Engineering, Elektrotechniek, Engineering (algemeen), Werktuigbouwkunde, Mechatronica
Data/ICT, Electrificatie , Electronica en besturingssystemen , Mobiliteit, Monitoring, Powertrain, Testen, Software
VDL ETS focusses on research, development and testing of new concepts and technologies for transport-related activities within the VDL group. The objective is to develop environmentally-friendly and innovative hardware and software solutions in the field of electric transport (BEV, (P)HEV and FCEV mobility), battery technology, charging infrastructure, energy storage, automated guided vehicles (AGVs), and guidance and navigation technology.
Within VDL ETS, the department system competence centre is responsible for the specification, design and engineering of new systems and software for various transport solutions. More specifically, we are working on electric trucks, public transport busses, coaches, AGVs etc. In multidisciplinary project teams we specify, design and develop E/E systems and application software. Some examples of these projects are new transport concepts, new platforms of VDL Bus and Coach buses, but also new concepts such as climate controls and other smart controls used in the vehicles and fleet management related software applications.
A trend in digitalisation, automation and connectivity as seen in other domains is also seen in automotive. Already for decades vehicle systems are no longer stand-alone but they are connected in an in-vehicle network. There are several basic architectures that are used in the automotive, with all their own pros and cons. Within this project you will help VDL to investigate what kind of architectures are used nowadays and are foreseen for near future in passenger cars and commercial vehicles. Also investigate known and in development standards for in-vehicle communication, like CAN FD, automotive Ethernet. Describes pros and cons for different kind of architectures with VDL products in mind. As a deliverable of your project you will give an overview and advise to VDL for future network architecture.
- Familiarize yourself with the current VDL products and their architecture.
- Gather requirements by interviewing several persons in VDL.
- Do internet research on in-vehicle network topology.
- Set up meetings with key suppliers of VDL in order to investigate their future developments.
- Make an overview of different concepts and check the concepts against the requirements.
- Advise on which concept fulfils the requirements best.
What do you bring:
- You are in the final stage of your bachelor program
- Strong interest in vehicle electronics and communication standards/protocols
- You have strong analytic skills
- Effective communication with all levels and disciplines. Clear and structured way of reporting.
- Able to challenge others, to come up with even better ideas
- Team spirit and cooperative attitude
What do we offer:
- Contribute to the further development of state-of-the-art, high-tech transport solutions
- Become experienced with cyber security in a broad sense
- Dynamic working environment
- Work together with multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to connect software development other disciplines
- You will be part of the international industrial family business, the VDL Group, where continuity is paramount
For more information, please contact Josje Ras firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone +31 (0)40 292 50 66
Are you interested and do you meet the profile? Then we would like to receive your CV and motivation for this vacancy!
Apply now with ACE
Please mention 'ACE internship / graduation 2019' when applying for a project! The Automotive Center of Expertise is a partnership between the three Universities of Applied Sciences Automotive (HAN, Fontys and Rotterdam) and the automotive industry. Partner companies of ACE are selected companies that have a close bond with education. These ACE Partners are preferred companies and are known for high-level assignments, excellent guidance/coaching and innovative topics.