Design an EURO NCAP test on a HiL platform
Testing, Software, Business & Management, Mobility, Monitoring
Modern cars are increasingly equipped with driver assistance features (ADAS). These systems are made to support the driver during the driving task or try to prevent accidents from happening. Two examples of such ADAS features that are becoming more or less standard on newer cars are Automatic Emergency Steering (AES) and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB). The industry standard for testing the performance of safety features of a vehicle are EURO NCAP tests. EURO NCAP performs standardized test on cars of various brands, with the goal of assessing the performance of the ADAS features and giving consumers the possibility to compare safety rating between various brands. EURO NCAP also does this for ADAS features. These tests are done on a test track, but can also be done in a simulation environment using a Hardware-in-the-Loop setup.
The goal of the assignment is to make a Hardware-in-the-Loop test setup to test the performance of an AES or AEB system according to EURO NCAP standard. The assignment will include:
- Gain insights in the EURO NCAP testing procedures for ADAS systems
- Design of test scenarios using Simcenter Prescan
- Choice of AES or AEB algorithm to be used in the test
- Implementation of AES or AEB algorithm on embedded platform
- Setup/calibrate vehicle dynamics model running on HiL
- Perform the tests and analyze the results
- Technical aspects
- Simcenter Prescan, dSPACE Scalexio, “Hardware In the Loop” (HIL) setup, dSPACE MicroAutobox/other platform.
- Development is done using MATLAB/Simulink, knowledge of python, C++, ROS or Autoware is a plus as well as experience with Control Systems design.
Level of the assignment: This assignment can be done by a HBO/WO student, where the assignment can be adjusted according to the educational direction/level.
Educational direction: Automotive, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer science.
Duration of assignment: 4-6 months, standard HBO/WO graduation period, including research, implementation, thesis writing.
Apply now with ACE
Please mention 'ACE internship / graduation 2022' when applying for a project! The Automotive Center of Expertise is a partnership between the Universities of Applied Sciences Automotive (HAN, Fontys) and the automotive industry. Partner companies of ACE are selected companies that have a close bond with education. These ACE Partners are preferred companies and are known for high-level assignments, excellent guidance/coaching and innovative topics.